I am working on a scrapbook of all the cars we have owned. And that put me in the mood to make this Geared Up Garage Card. So start your engines and let’s get creating.
MEASUREMENTS & SUPPLIES
- Smoky Slate cardstock: 4-1/4″ x 11″ scored at 5-1/2″
- Thick Whisper White cardstock:
- 4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″ for card panel
- scraps for stamping and die-cutting
- Classic Garage DSP (retired) or stamp car on Thick Whisper White
- Use a small dish filled with 91% rubbing alcohol (similar to water in watercolor).
- Add a bit of shimmer paint or Wink of Stella to the alcohol dish for a subtle shimmer effect.
- Work in a small area of the image. Let dry. Then move to the next area. Continue working small non-adjacent areas until you have completed your image.
- When dry, add another layer of color.
- Work light to dark to avoid contaminating the Stampin’ Blend.
- If the color is too concentrated, paint on a little more alcohol.
- After the image is completely dry, flick some clean rubbing alcohol onto the colored image for extra depth.
- EXTRA FUN: Add Gold Leafing, use a fine line of liquid glue. Let dry until tacky. Then add leafing and rub off the excess.
CREATING PIECES & PARTS
Stamp the Good Morning Magnolia image onto the vellum panel using Basic Gray ink. The lines will be blurred by the Stampin’ Blends and the alcohol to create a faux watercolor effect.
Color the image starting with the lightest color. Use Dark Daffodil Delight for the center. Dip a fine-tip paintbrush into the rubbing alcohol and gently move the color. I added Champagne Shimmer Paint to my rubbing alcohol.
Next, color non-adjacent petals with Dark Flirty Flamingo. Gently blur the stamped line. Let dry and repeat on other petals. Do the same for the leaves. TIP: Blow into a straw to gently direct the ink flow in the desired direction.
Add a second layer of color after the image is dry. Repeat the process of alcohol painting and gently blowing the ink.
OPTIONAL: Pick up some clean rubbing alcohol with the paintbrush and flick it over the image. This will create small droplets that will lighten some areas by moving the color outward.
Adhere the vellum panel to the Basic White cardstock panel using Stampin’ Seal or a light amount of Multipurpose Liquid Glue. Add to Basic Black card base.
Stamp the sentiment in White Craft ink and heat emboss with with embossing powder. Trim to you liking. Add to card panel with small black Dimensionals.
Customize the message insert and the envelope with some flicks of color from the brush end of the Stampin’ Blends.
- Die-cut large gear bundle from DSP white cardboard backing. You will use this as a mask. The thicker cardboard works great.
- Place gear mask in center of card panel and blend Basic Gray with a sponge wedge around the gears. TIP: Hold the mask firmly and realign if necessary. Use light sponging to prevent lines.
- Die-cut panel with Stitched Rectangle die.
- Glue black fun foam (from a craft store) on the back of the DSP (black cars).
- Fussy cut or die-cut the car with black foam backing.
- DIe-cut gears from Thick Whisper White.
- Lightly sponge with Basic Gray. TIP: Use the sponge from the background step and do not re-ink to prevent over-inking.
- Stamp in Memento Tuxedo Black ink
- gas can and toolbox and die-cut
- sentiment and fussy cut.
- Layer all the elements as shown.
- Add wrench from the retired Classic Garage Metal Elements.
- Customize the message insert and the envelope with stamped images and/or patterned paper.
As I finish the car scrapbook pages, I will post them. We are digging through photos to find a couple of each car. Wish us luck!
Let’s Get Super Excited
- You can order from my shop 24/7 or contact me anytime with questions.
- Leave me a comment. I’d love to hear from you.
- What did you like?
- What would you like to see more of?
- Need help implementing a technique? Ask me and I will see what I can do.
- HOST a WORKSHOP or CLASS? Contact me to get on the schedule. I will design a workshop based on your desires.
- JOIN MY TEAM Purchasing the $99 Starter Kit is one of the BEST DECISIONS EVER!
- Visit my PROJECT GALLERY for more paper crafting inspiration.
- Subscribe to PAPER PUMPKIN and get a different creative kit every month.
- SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG NOW!
- Ask me how to get your FREE catalog.
I CAN SHOW YOU HOW TO TAKE YOUR CARDMAKING & SCRAPBOOKING TO THE NEXT LEVEL.
Do Something Creative Every Day,